Due to a need for consulting at the episcopal relief organisation MISEREOR, AGIAMONDO is seeking someone experienced in development cooperation to fill the following position:
Consultant for Water Management (f/m/d), Sub-Sahara, Africa
The Episcopal relief organization MISEREOR supports numerous church and secular organizations in their development cooperation efforts. MISEREOR's work in Africa includes the ever-increasing demands in the area of water and sanitation, which requires professional advice on site in close coordination with MISEREOR's project support.
As a temporary consultant at AGIAMONDO, you will work closely with the local stakeholders and MISEREOR in Aachen. In Germany, you will work on a mobile basis and undertake approximately four to six trips per year to the African partner countries.
Your new role
Providing water and ensuring sanitation are among the greatest challenges of the 21st century. The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) set the goal of ensuring water and sanitation for all by 2030. The effects of climate change are visibly intensifying the global water crisis and environmental changes in large parts of Africa. The simultaneous sharp increase in water demand for households, animal husbandry and agriculture poses particular challenges for partner organizations. In recent years, MISEREOR has developed a "water manual" for the analysis and community management of water and sanitation facilities to support an improvement in living conditions. Additional advisory services in the planning and implementation of water projects strengthen the involvement of the target groups and the establishment of democratic, self-reliant structures in the water sector.
In this consultancy project you will carry out the following tasks:
- You will consult MISEREOR's partner organizations on the (IT-supported) interpretation of climate and water balance data in order to develop long-term strategies to secure the livelihood of water in the future.
- You accompany the use of hydraulic software and adapted technical planning of supply systems for the preparation of solid cost estimates and realistic bases for decision-making.
- You consult the partner organizations on (IT-supported) methods of project planning and project monitoring in view of the challenges of the water and climate crisis, initiate implementation and report on this to the advised partner organization and MISEREOR.
- You organize and conduct trainings, workshops and seminars on the use of numerical tools and GPS/GIS mapping instruments for IT-based water infrastructure planning.
- You will improve access to relevant IT tools in the water sector and the provision of appropriate technical literature for both partner organizations and MISEREOR and promote peer learning between consultancy assignments.
- You will contribute to the improvement of the MISEREOR "Online Water Toolbox" (the transfer of contents of the Water Handbook into an online platform) through the above-mentioned advisory contents and network MISEREOR's partners with each other as well as with other (regional) organizations in the field and expand the partner spectrum.
- You have a degree in engineering (civil engineering, hydraulic engineering or similar), geosciences, geotechnology, engineering informatics, environmental sciences, environmental informatics, environmental technology, supply engineering or a comparable field.
- You have professional experience in advising and supporting southern organizations in the water sector, especially related to hydraulic calculations, topographies, technical knowledge for water supply systems and sanitary engineering.
- You have several years of professional experience in remote online consulting for facility planning and construction (WaSH) in Africa, organizational development and change management with impact-oriented planning, implementation and evaluation of projects.
- You are experienced in IT-supported data collection, evaluation and analysis, as well as the technical assessment of facilities and the use of modern GPS/GIS methods.
- You are fluent in English and French, additional knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
- You are a member of a Christian church and feel at home in an intercultural and ecclesiastical context. You have a good understanding of the perspectives of different people and groups and are able to deal with culturally sensitive issues.
What AGIAMONDO offers
- A three-year contract with AGIAMONDO based on the provisions of the collective bargaining agreements for the public service (TVöD Bund) and supplementary benefits in the VBL.
- The employment will begin in autumn 2021.
- Professional training and development opportunities.
We look forward to receiving your complete online application (cover letter, Europass CV, certificates in *PDF format) no later than 31/10/2021 via the Vacancies section of our website.
Corona - Information for applicants
Even in the current situation, we are happy to accept your application via the online application portal. We are conducting the selection procedure online. We are also still offering our preparatory measures as digital solutions.